CNC machining has fast become one of the world’s most popular manufacturing techniques and services. The term encompasses a wide range of CNC machining processes. CNC machining has replaced many traditional machining processes due to the fact that it can machine much quicker and more accurately than past methods. One of the most significant replacements for an old method of machining is CNC lathe machining.
Traditional CNC machining took place through man-operated lathe machines to manufacture parts. However, replacing the method with a CNC lathe machine has made the manufacturing process become even more popular and it is used to produce thousands of components each year.
What Is CNC Lathe?
CNC lathe is a mechanical setup that integrates CNC (computerised numerical control) in order to achieve the highest levels of automated precision machining. A CNC lathe machine can come in two different forms: a flat-bed and a slant-bed. These machines have a range of different components and mechanisms that become automated using CNC programming. The manufacturing method can be used for both metal and non-metal machining and is usually chosen for heavy duty CNC machining.
Since revolutionising the traditional method of lathe machining, CNC lathe machines are considered highly beneficial. Some benefits include:
- The automated setup means no operator is needing whilst the turning machining, drilling or cutting is taking place – resulting in low labour costs and therefore lower service costs for the customer
- The automation also means that production time is significantly reduced. Tool change times and tool post adjustments are much quicker than the previous manual process, leading to a much faster turnaround time
- It creates less material wastage as human errors are eliminated and the material usage can be pre-calculated
- Being fully automated, the system eventually reduces the time for production. Especially, the time for tool change, spindle to tool post adjustments, etc are reduced which leads to quick turnaround production.
- Finally it can offer some of the highest levels of accuracy and precision that you can find in manufacturing processes. These levels of accuracy can be used to manufacture intricate parts that have great precision and dimensional stability.
CNC Lathe Applications
What a CNC lathe machining can be used for machining cylindrical or spherical components, however the machines can also perform the following operations:
- CNC Turning Machining
- CNC Drilling
- Feature Formation
- Surface Finishing
A CNC lathe machine can manufacture using the processes above include gaskets, shafts, rods, disks, and gears.
CNC Machining Services
With a wealth of experience and expertise, we can support you with many different manufacturing requirements. We can guarantee you quality, accuracy, and consistency every time.
Make sure to call 01788 543661 to speak to a member of our helpful and friendly team. Finally, If you have found this blog helpful, then you may wish to read our previous blog on An Introduction To Vertical Boring or CNC Machining Services | Important Aspects You Should Consider